Medical professionals who treat mental illness using a biomedical technique towards mental disorders and also make use of medications are called psychiatrists. A psychiatrist is a physician who deals in diagnosis, prevention and treatment of mental illness, emotional disorders and addictions. The condition includes anxiety, neurosis, developmental disabilities, depression and substance abuse. Psychiatry has various subspecialties like child psychiatry, adult psychiatry; behavioral medicine etc and psychiatrists have to undergo special training to undertake this task.
Psychiatrists are specialists in mental health and thus
- Study, prevent, make a diagnosis and treat psychological, emotional and behavioral disorders.
- They study the physical condition of the patient and adapt the necessary medical actions.
- They recommend diagnostic and laboratory tests for the patient depending on the severity of the case.
- Psychiatrists give treatments such as psychotherapy, psychoanalysis, cognitive behavior therapy depending on the patient requirement.
- Psychiatrists can also prescribe medicines for the patients.
Qualification to be a psychiatrist
- The person has to be a graduate from college and from a medical school.
- Should complete four years of residency in the field of psychiatry.
- To further specialize in fields such as child psychiatrist, there is additional training.
- After completion of this entire course, a psychiatrist will be addressed to as a mental health professional and physician. He/she will clearly differentiate between physical and psychological causes and relate both physical and mental distress.
- A board certification is a must to practice psychiatry.
Choosing the right psychiatrist speaks a lot in getting your treatment right. Given below is the guide to choose the right psychiatrist:
- Speak about your prevailing condition to your family physician and if he/she feels you need the help of a psychiatrist then ask for recommendation. Take a copy of your latest medical records if you have one, this will help your psychiatrist on deciding on the drugs for you.
- To cross check on any psychiatrist you can get in touch with the nearest psychiatric society or community medical health center. They can help you with information on the qualification of the psychiatrist you have chosen.
- A good psychiatrist should always discuss your problem in detail and discuss on why he has chosen any particular treatment for you. There are various therapies available for curing psychiatric problems and so the doctor should educate the patient on them and explain why he has chosen any particular treatment.
- Ensure that you provide complete true information about yourself and your condition to the psychiatrist as he/she is also a physician and can choose the right treatment for you depending on your medical background.
- Finally check if your insurance covers the entire cost of the treatment or make the necessary arrangements for your course of treatment.