Tendonitis is one of the most common injuries that affect the knee. In simple terms it means inflammation and/or rupture of the tendons of the knee. Knee Tendonitis is also called 'Jumper's knee' as it was first described in the takeoff leg of high jumpers. It occurs in dancers, runners and players and anyone who runs and jumps regularly suffer from it. Typical symptoms of knee Tendonitis or Tendinitis as this condition is also known as:
- Knee tendonitis produces pain, tenderness and stiffness near/on the knee joints.
- Worst pain is experienced when ascending or descending stairs or when getting up from a seated position.
- Chronic pain is common due tendon and ligament weakness and cartilage deterioration.
- Inflammation of the tendons in the knee occurs. The inflamed tendons are painful when moved or touched.
- The tendon sheaths are visibly swollen. This may be due to accumulation of fluid and inflammation.
Knee tendonitis is caused by overuse, injury or due to aging.
- A small tear or inflammation in the knee caused the pain in knee tendonitis.
- Inflammatory diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis can also cause knee tendonitis.
- Popliteus Tendonitis is caused by excessive inward rolling of the feet. This is called 'pronation'. This occurs when excessive stress is put on the tendon, thereby causing a tear or inflammation in the tendon.
- Pes anserine Tendonitis is characterized by inflammation of the medial knee. This often coexists with other knee disorders.
- Semi membranous Tendonitis is characterized by posteromedical aspects of the knee and tenderness. Here resisted flexion and 'outward turned strain' occurs.
Treatment for Knee Tendonitis
- Orthopedic surgeons recommend conservative treatment for knee tendinitis. Physical therapy and injections are commonly administered.
- Modern treatment regime includes rest, cryotherapy, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, physical therapy and massage.
- For the athlete who wants to improve his/her condition much faster, cortisone injections are given every one to two weeks.
- Surgery for knee tendinitis is rare. However if the person develops a tear in the tendon,surgery is the only answer.
Natural treatment for knee tendinitis
- Prolotherapy: In knee tendonitis that occurs in sports persons, the athlete is encouraged to perform exercises during the healing process. This natural medical treatment helps to strengthen structural weaknesses in the.
- The MEAT treatment consists of tendon and strengthening of ligaments by movement, exercise, analgesics and treatment by herbal supplies. The approach here is to encourage the damaged tissues to heal as quickly as possible without decreasing the inflammation quickly with ice or anti inflammatory drugs.
- A heat pad could be applied on the pain area for 15 -20 minutes to relieve pain.
- Similarly cold therapy can also be resorted to.
- Bracing is considered by sports persons to provide stability to the knee and thereby relieve pain by stimulating the nerve fibers which makes the wearer feels that the joint is more stable and secure. Football players, racers and skiers particularly benefit from such bracing.
- Avoid activity that can cause pain.